11.12.2008

Thanksgiving Menu and Recipe

So I have really only just come to the realization that Thanksgiving is a mere 2 weeks away. With that being said I have sat down this morning to figure out the menu. I'll officially have 9!

  • Turkey (obviously) - not sure yet if we are smoking it again or going to attempt frying it.
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Jalapeno Cornbread Stuffing - Recipe for this below - provided by Good Housekeeping
  • Regular Stuffing
  • Orange Salad
  • Cranberry Sauce - Of the canned variety, call me lazy.
  • Twice baked sweet potatoes
  • Waldorf Salad
  • Cresent Rolls - again out of a can!

And the obvious obligatory desserts of Pecan and Pumpkin Pies. Probably also some fudge because my brother hates pie of any variety.

It'll be a mad scramble the week of Thanksgiving. My inlaws will be moving to Canada on Saturday and have taken their whole house. We are turning back our rent house and moving into theirs until they come back (2+ years). So we'll be going crazy trying to get moved!

Onward to the recipe. I can honestly say that I am definitely not a fan of stuffing (it's the soggy bread texture, just awful) not until this stuffing came into my life last year - its really, really good if you like spicy foods.

Like I say I'm a fairly lazy person - I love Jiffy Cornbread I made 2 boxes of it last year for this recipe

Ingredients

  • 3tbs Margarine
  • 4 Medium Carrots (cut into 1/4 dice)
  • 3 Medium Celery Stalks (" ")
  • 2 large Onions ("")
  • 2 Medium jalapeno peppers (seeded and minced) (Here I substitued fresh jalapenos for pickled - I just used about a half cup)
  • 1 (10 oz) frozen whole-kernel corn (thawed)
  • 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth

Prepare cornbread and set aside - or make one day in advance and refridgerate.

Preheat oven to 325. In a 12 inch skillet melt 1 TBS margarine or butter over medium heat. Add carrots and celery, and cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.

In same skillet melt remaining 2 TBS margarine or butter over medium heat; add onions and jalaepenos and cooke 10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn, chicken broth and 1/3 cup water; heat to boiling, stirring. Transfer onion mixture to bowl with vegetables. Crumble corn bread into vegetable mixture; Toss gently to mix well.

Spoon stuffing into a 13x9 glass pan; cover with foil and bake 30 minutes or until heated through.

2 crafty folks:

Amanda said...

ooh what's orange salad?

Evan said...

It's a terrific little Jello salad that we've had since I was a kid. Its orange Jello with mandarin oranges in it. It's truly amazing!